Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Great to be in Dixie - Squash Casserole

I have never met a squash casserole that I didn't like. I think that is the church pot-luck lover coming out in me and for that matter I love deviled eggs too! This recipe that I am about to share is a sad excuse for a "veggie" but I am in the south so as long as there is something remotely veggie about it, even garlic powder, we can call is a side dish and no one will disagree. I know this recipe will sound a bit strange, but trust me, it will change your squash life forever.
Enjoy!

5 Med yellow squash sliced (about 2-2.5 lbs)
1 small onion diced
1 cup carrots diced
Boil the above in salted water until nice and soft. Drain, mash with potato masher and set aside.
In a separate bowl combine:
2 cups herb stovetop stuffing
1 cup sour cream
1 can cream of chicken
2 eggs
1 stick melted butter
1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
salt and pepper
add in squash mash
Pour all into 9x13 and bake for 35-40 min until set at 350 degrees. Try not to eat the entire pan!

No comments:

Post a Comment