Saturday, October 23, 2010

For real? - Fish Almondine

Fish Almondine.
I know what you are thinking. Just the sight of that word makes me think of waiting in line like a heard of cattle at a Luby's cafeteria to get my tray and silverware before proceeding to view the insanely thick non-wiggly green jello on down to the huge medium rare roast beast beaming under the red heat lamps to the fluffy warm rolls dripping with hot butter. Oh yeah, those were the days. I was first introduced to fish almondine at Luby's because that was always the special on Wednesdays when we would go to Luby's with my granny before church. I have not had too many experiences with fish almondine outside of the cafeteria world but I decided to revise what I remembered of the dish to bring it to life a bit more, and I think that goal was accomplished. So go ahead and push all of your fears and anxieties behind and welcome in the new classic. Enjoy!

4 tilapia fillets
salt and pepper
dried dill (about 1 tsp)
1 cup crushed butter crackers (Ritz works great)
1/2 c crushed blanched sliced almonds
1 Tbsp flour
salt and pepper
1/2 stick butter melted
1 lemon sliced in wedges

In a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray lay your tilapia fillets, generously season with salt and pepper and dried dill.
In a separate bowl mix together crackers, almonds, flour and another dash of salt and pepper (just to be safe) Pour melted butter over mixture and mix thoroughly. Once the crackers have soaked in the butter pat the cracker mixter atop of each fish fillet then lightly spray with a cooking spray (Pam) place in 350 degree oven for 12-15 minutes until crust is golden brown and fish is opaque.  Serve with sliced lemon wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment