Sunday, August 7, 2011

B.L.T.

B.L.T.
B.L.T.
This summer I had an unforgettable night with a B.L.T. I know what you are thinking, I must be crazy! I am telling you, it was an earth shattering moment that will forever change my love/hate relationship I have with a B.L.T.

One of the many exciting things I did this summer was to take a road trip to see my sister. My sisters is the mother earth of the family. She is organic, real, earthly, artsy, and enjoys soaking up the every day beauty that surrounds her. She is an amazing cook and when we get together we have months worth of prep that go into each meal we prepare. While I was at her house we had B.L.T's and they were simply amazing. I am not a huge fan of tomatoes but I thought I would be polite and try it anyway. And...my life will never be the same. Something about the fresh lightly toasted wheat bread topped with thick applewood bacon, fresh bib lettuce and tomatoes so pink and juicy that they run down your arm, all topped off with a rosemary mayo. Did you see that? Let me repeat, rosemary mayo. That is the kicker. In order to have a truly successful B.L.T. you need all of these things. If tomatoes aren't in season, don't bother. If the bread is not super fresh, don't bother. If your bacon is thin and wimpy...you get my drift. But, if you can't make rosemary mayo to top it all off then stay out of the kitchen. I am not sure exactly what all she put in the mayo but here is my version. This will have you up in the middle of the night, you will have dreams about this. Just don't say I didn't warn you!

Rosemary Mayo (enough for 2-3 sandwiches)
1/2 cup good mayo (I like Duke's)
1 Tbsp FRESH chopped rosemary
1 Tbsp fresh chopped basil
1 Tbsp Fresh flat parsley chopped
1/2 tsp dried dill (LOVE IT!!)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
10 good turns of fresh cracked black pepper
1/2 tsp kosher salt

Combine all in a small bowl. Will stay for 3 days in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment