Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Best Pumpkin Ever - Mom's Pumpkin Bread


Pumpkin bread is the ultimate fall treat. One of my best friends is in love with the Panera pumpkin muffin and is sometimes caught drooling at them through the glass. I love pumpkin bread, muffins, whoopie pies, seeds, dip, really, you name it. I remember the first time I had pumpkin bread growing up, I know I am weird. It was so delicious and quickly became a family holiday favorite. We have had this recipe for many years but it is one of those that is too good not to share with all of you this time of year. I love it and if you like pumpkin then you will too. This recipe makes enough for two large loafs, 1 bundt, or 1 large and 4 mini. My favorite part about it is the browned butter glaze. That is something that my mom didn't have on it growing up but it is what sends this bread over the moon. I am telling you, you will be dreaming about this. Make a batch and take them to your neighbors....or bring it over for me to test with you. Thanks mom for this!


Mom's Pumpkin Bread
3 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 cup cooking oil
1 can 16 oz pumpkin
3 cups flour
1/2 tsp soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp allspice
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt

Glaze (you might need to double, depending on how generous you are)
3 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp milk

In a large bowl mix together your sugar, eggs, oil then pumpkin. Sift together the dry ingredients then add them into the wet stirring just until combined.
Pour into your pans that are lightly buttered and floured (you must or they will stick)
Bake at 350 for 35 minutes, reduce the heat to 300 then continue to cook for 30 minutes. Allow the bread to cool before adding the glaze or it will just roll off the sides.

For the glaze: In a heavy saucepan on low heat brown the butter. You will know it is browned when it becomes an auburn color and has a nice nutty smell to it and the fat has separated in it. Whisk in the sugar and milk. If it too thick add a splash more milk. Drizzle over your bread and allow it to set before covering with saran wrap.

Enjoy Y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment