Thursday, February 2, 2012

Gimmie Guacamole!!

I was totally wigged out by guacamole as a small child. Not sure what the disconnect was for me as a small child but guacamole frightened me. It always looked so unappetizing and was full of onions and tomatoes and other things I detested when I was young and naive. As a grown up I have finally seen the error of my ways (on some things) and I love guacamole! We make guacamole quite often around here. My youngest muffin is a very picky eater (got that from his daddy, thank you!) but he loves avocados just plain. And, I can't let half of an avocado go to waste so I usually slice it and eat it on a turkey sandwich or make a small bowl of guac to get my fix. Last year I taught a cooking class and this recipe is one that I used to open up the class. It was not until then that I realized that there are many others out there who too are frightened and hate guacamole, I had no idea. I always thought that grown adults loved everything when I was young. But I was wrong. I soon learned that when you break down guacamole and allow the avocado to shine in all of it's glory, you don't need a lot of other fancy fillers to make a good guacamole. You just need a little bit of this, a little bit of that, and a whole love of love. This is the perfect dish to throw on your table this super bowl weekend. I promise, it will disappear!! If you have been afraid of guacamole before, give this a try and see if you too don't fall in love all over again.


2 Haas Avocados
½ fresh limed squeezed
1 tsp garlic salt
Combine all and serve immediately.
*Can also add fresh cilantro, diced tomatoes, diced red onion, and diced jalapeno

To cut the avocado, take it in the palm of one hand and with the other hand take a sharp knife, push it in sideways until you hit the pit, then spin the avocado around until you have sliced it in two at the pit. Twist lightly and it will pull apart.
To remove the pit, take your sharp knife and whack it gently into the pit. Wiggle it back and forth while holding on firmly to the avocado and it should pull right out.
To remove the flesh, take a spoon and slide it between the flesh and the skin and gently scoop it all out into a bowl. Repeat with remaining avocados.
Lightly mash the avocado  with the lime juice and garlic salt. If you think you must, you may add in any of the above mentioned toppings...but I love the be a purist about some things. Grab you a big bag of tortilla chips and start munching!
If for some unheard of reason you don't eat all of it at one time of you only use half of an avocado, keep the pit in the avocado half or throw the pit in the bowl and that should keep it from turning too brown.

Enjoy Y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment