Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Hula Chicken


I apologize now for picture quality on this. Usually I cook dinner at a normal time after the sun has set and the perfect natural light has gone to bed for the day. If I had all day to stay home and hang in my pj's and watch episodes of Downton (not that I would ever do that) in between recipe testing I promise that each picture would make you want to lick the screen. Which could become a problem eventually. So you can thank me now for bad photos.

We love chicken and rice dishes in our house. Anything that can resemble Chinese food that doesn't involve making a trip to Pei Wei has our vote. I have seen a recipe for a while that has been pinned over and over for Hawaiian chicken. The recipe is super simple but involves you buying a certain sauce at Target. And, I don't know about you but I usually end up shoving my shopping list into the bottom of my purse as soon as I hit the dollar aisle and wind my way through the cosmetics. The few times I look at my list when I get back to my car I am always puzzled as to how I ended up with five sets of colored napkins and none of the necessities that I needed. So, I decided to alter this recipe on the off chance that I would not remember to grab a certain sauce on the sauce aisle...since typically the sauces are on the same aisle as the sugars and cake mixes, and since they are now carrying a large selection of sprinkles and cupcake liners I fear that I wouldn't be successful if on a specific mission that involved me walking to the furthest end of said aisle.
This recipe can easily be doubled to feed a crowd and would go great with some salted edamame and spring rolls. This is reminiscent of sweet and sour chicken, so the addition of some large onion chunks or red bell pepper chunks would be great, if you were into that sort of thing. As an alternative you could easily make these as kabobs in the summer to grill them and brush with this sauce.

Hula Chicken

3- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts cubed into 1" equal chunks
1- small can of pineapple chunks, NOT drained
1 cup of your favorite BBQ Sauce (we use Sweet Baby Ray's)
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp. Sriracha (the red pepper sauce you find at all Chinese food places. Available in most grocery stores in the Asian food section)

Toss all of the above in a bowl then pour into a lightly greased baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until sauce has thickened and chicken is baked through.
Serve over steamed white rice.

Enjoy Ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment