Monday, February 25, 2013

Lighten Up Corn Pudding

All I know is it is hard to photograph corn pudding and make it look appetizing! 
I pretty much love all things corn. Corn is to veggies as shrimp is to fish, you can broil it, boil it, sauté it, soufflé it...you get my drift. This past weekend we were cooking up a big fat brisket and for some reason I always want to partner a corn dish with brisket, whether it be corn bread or on the cob. I decided to do a variation of a corn pudding based on the crazy ingredients I had in the fridge. Now, you have to remember that things like full on cream or butter are big splurges these days so I didn't have my normal ingredient on hand...and half way through I realized that I didn't have any eggs so I had to make due. This variation is super light in calories and crazy easy to prepare and I didn't have to feel super guilty about it afterwards. Because it is cooked at a high temperature, the top becomes lightly brown and the corn on the surface has a great chewy texture, similar to pan fried corn. 
Give it a whirl and see you if feel like you are missing out. 

Lightened Up Corn Pudding
1 can- whole corn drained
1 small can creamed corn
1 cup plain non-fat greet yogurt
2 Tbsp Half and Half or milk
2 Tbsp butter melted
2 Tbsp self-rising corn meal
1 Egg or 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar mixed with 1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Combine all of the ingredients into a bowl. Pour into a small greased baking dish. 
Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes until top is lightly brown and center is lightly set. 

Enjoy Y'all!  

No comments:

Post a Comment