Wednesday, December 19, 2012

I had him at potato- Rosemary Smashed Potatoes


'Tis the season to be totally crazy around here! I don't know about you guys but my list seems never ending, my counters seem never empty and my floor seems never clean! I am in what some might call, "busy season" this week so I finally broke down and made myself my own personal to-do list for the next 72 hours just to make sure I get it all done. On my lovely list of things to make for a party is a big pan of my rosemary smashed potatoes. These potatoes are very near and dear to my heart and are the reason I am married with kids. Not really, but kind of. The salesman said that he married me because of my mashed potatoes that I made for him while we were dating. He ate and ate them until he finally crawled to the couch and passed out in a spud coma. I love potatoes of any kind but especially when they have layers of cream, flecks of rosemary and spice of fresh black pepper. I remember growing up that it was always my job to peel the potatoes and I remember thinking that when I grew up I would find a better way to make mashed potatoes happen, and I have. I am a skin on kind of girl and if this is new to you, please trust me. These are so simple and sinful that you almost forget you are eating a "vegetable". I was hesitant to share these with you, but if it will help some of you find your true love this holiday season then I am happy to pass it along.

Rosemary Smashed Potatoes

2- lb washed and cleaned red potatoes with skin on (cut away any bad parts and the nubby ends)
4 oz cream cheese (just a warning, it's only down hill from here!)
1 cup sour cream
1/2-3/4 cup milk
1/2 stick or 4 Tbsp butter plus an extra tablespoon or two
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 -1 Tsp fresh black pepper
1-1 1/2 Tsp salt

Cube the potatoes into even chunks. I typically quarter mine if I have the smaller red potatoes. Place your potatoes into your pot then cover with cold water just until they are submerged. Crank up the heat and allow them to boil for about 12-15 minutes until fork tender. Drain immediately to avoid them getting gummy.
Next, dump in the next 7 ingredients and start with 1/2 tsp of pepper and 1 tsp of salt then taste. You might need to add a wee bit more of both depending on your taste.
Now for me I always prefer to hand smash my potatoes. This allows for some uneven chunk-age and for the potatoes not to get over-whipped  Potato mashers are just a few bucks at any local grocery store and are a great tool to have on hand so go get one if possible. As a back up, you can always use a hand mixer and whip just until they have a creamy consistency but don't over due it. If they are too thick, add a splash more milk but I like mine to be able to stand up on their own and not be a runny pool.
Pour them into your serving pan, put a pat or two of butter on top and another sprinkle of black pepper and dig in!

Happy Holidays Y'all!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete